Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Wintering in Yuma, AZ-Jan. 1-10, 2016

Note: the italic text is a contribution by Elaine; the non-italic text is Yvon's.

Jan. 1, 2016

Today is recovering day from New Year's Eve!!!

The party was fully booked (I would guess around 150-200 people); tables decorated with appropriate party favours; a large dance floor and a band to keep it alive.
Starting at 20:00, social time: mix, mingle, dance and be merry. At 22:00, the buffet opened.

Midnight approached with excitement and effervescence.
The champagne and the accolades welcomed the New Year and said farewell to 2015.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The New Year must have arrived with a big bang, 'cause some people are still feeling the effects of it today.

The main event of today had been arranged some weeks ago:
Rib BBQ
Rib Grill, they would call it here.



Two couples from the park took it on themselves to feed as many people as were interested, with home prepared ribs and chicken. They smoked and cooked 16 racks of ribs; and 4 chicken.
They gathered over 50 hungry people.
The process is lengthy to do it right; and the results are succulent.
Everyone complemented the meat offerings with a side dish of some kind.
There is plenty of variety for everyone to enjoy  and enough to take some home.

(Pardon me if there is some smudges on the page: I am still licking my fingers...)

Congratulations to the cooks and a big thank you for sharing their way of celebrating.

Cherished memories to fill in the first pages of the year.

Jan. 2, 2016

Today, I get to resume my pickleball activities, with moderation.
Here's the story: some times before Christmas, I started feeling some stress in my Achilles tendon. On Christmas day, I took some dogs for a walk, a serious and purposeful walk. That is when I aggravated the weakness. I could hardly walk.
So, with the help and advice of some people that had gone through this before, I joined the list of "injured players"; wearing an ankle support and avoiding ANY stress to the injured area.
That meant no chores...of course; no cooking, no dish washing, no vacuuming, no dusting, no laundry duties, etc...
You can never be too careful!!!
I also discovered that an occasional dose of "doctor recommended" brandy helped with the pain.

Well today, I am relieved to find that my injuries will sustain a "moderate" game of pickelball.
The "doctor recommended" brandy will remain on my diet for some time, just in case...
As for the chores, well... the process is in lively negotiations as I write...

Jan. 3, 2016

For the past few of days, Elaine has not been feeling very good. Tired; depressed; under the weather.
Hope the sun and warmer temperature of today will help make it better.

Jan. 11, 2016-Mon

A recap of the last week:

Monday & Tues./4&5
Last Monday and Tuesday have brought us cloudy and rainy weather. Something I had not yet experienced here before. Not heavy and torrential rain, like we encountered in Florida; just light, intermittent and consistent showers.

Tues.- 
Now that Elaine has consumer tested the new products of her creativity, she has arranged to secure a vendor table at a local Craft Show in February. The game is on; production has shifted in high gear. Fresh material, imaginative colours.

Wedn-
My injury to my left foot is healing very well.
I considered that a little prayer would not hurt; when I asked for my foot to be the same as the other, I got my wish: I hurt my right foot!!!

Thurs.-
As with many physical overstretching, the DAY AFTER seems to bring about the most severe pain. I still remember the last foot experience. This time, the pain keeps me awake all night. I think I will remember this one too...

Sun.-
There was a homemade cake and a gathering, by the pool side, of friends from Sun Ridge Park (we were there last 2 years):  it was Yvon's birthday...again...his 47th, I'm guessing...


No comments:

Post a Comment